Covenant House is the largest privately funded agency in the Americas that provides food, shelter, immediate crisis care, and ongoing services to homeless, abandoned, abused, trafficked, and exploited youth.
We began in 1972 in New York City and have grown to serve over 56,000 youth annually in 27 cities throughout the United States, Canada, and Central America. At Covenant House, we offer basic necessities to any homeless youth who knocks on our door - with unconditional love. No questions asked and no strings attached. Once a young person is staying with us, our programs provide the structure they need to get off the street, plan for the future, and achieve independence.
THE PROBLEM WITH YOUTH HOMELESSNESS
- In the US alone, over 2 million children experience at least one night of homelessness each year
- Almost 40% of homeless persons are under 18.
- Approximately 75% of homeless and runaway youth have dropped out or will drop out of school.
- Homeless youth have three times the rate of emotional and behavioral problems.
- One in four homeless youth have been trafficked (From Homelessness, Survival Sex and Human Trafficking, a study conducted in 2013 by Covenant House and Fordham University)
COVENANT HOUSE: A HOLISTIC SOLUTION
While most of our youth have experienced abuse, neglect, loss and hardship, their needs when they come to us are as diverse as they are. They may be in an emotional crisis and need a lot of stability and support to heal. They may feel ready to take on the future, but need support and opportunity.
Our programming is as diverse as the youth we serve and the geography we cover but falls under the following main categories:
WHERE WE WORK
Covenant House is located in 6 countries and 27 cities in North America. Click here to see if there is a Covenant House in your community